Our goal has been to have an Environmental Management System (EMS) in all of our operations. Imerys rolled out the protocol in all of its operations through a self-appraisal procedure based on the eight pillars of an effective EMS(1). The results of this self-appraisal were presented quarterly to Executive Management until the end of 2011.
Since 2012, the emphasis has been on assessing the robustness of existing management systems. Regular elf-appraisal, presented quarterly to Executive Management, measures performance against the objectives and priority targets defined for each site. Furthermore, an EMS audit process was set up, with 5% of the Group’s operations audited in 2012. In 2014, the audit process has been extended to 15 additional operations.
(1) Eight pillars of an effective Environmental Management System: existence of a policy; identification of aspects & impacts; identification of legal requirements; setting goals and targets; appointment of specific
representative; training given out; emergency procedures, and audit.
|Objectives 2014||Performance 2014|
An audit team monitors proper application of Imerys’ protocol and respect of local regulations
We regularly conduct audits on our sites to check compliance with current regulations and internal protocols, and to build a continuous improvement momentum.
Our team was bolstered in 2010 and now numbers around 20 Environment, Health and Safety specialists selected from operations. Peer review is provided for all audits to ensure quality and action plans are monitored quarterly to guarantee implementation. The EHS audit team conducts 30 to 35 audits per year. The schedule for the audits is defined according to a risk grading model that factors in criteria such as size of site, existence of mineral solid storage facilities, occurrence of environmental incidents or lost-time accident rate.
We report “environmental incidents” in relation to our sites in order to determine their causes and take corrective measures to reduce the risk of their reoccurrence.
We carefully monitor any prosecutions against us on environmental grounds and the amount of any fines we possibly have to pay.
Brazil – Integrated Management System
In December 2011, Imerys RCC and PPSA renewed their OHSAS 18001, ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certifications. Both companies now benefit from an integrated management system. These certifications go beyond international recognition for the best practices implemented by Imerys. They reflect the commitment of RCC and PPSA, both located in Pará state, Brazil, to Sustainable Development.
- Environmental Management System (EMS)
Number of sites
|ISO 14001 or EMAS(1) certified sites|
|Sites with the 8 pillars of a good EMS(2)|
(1) EMAS: Eco Management and Audit Scheme.
(2) Eight pillars of an effective Environmental Management System: existence of a policy; identification of aspects & impacts; identification of legal requirements; setting goals and targets; appointment of specific representative; training given out; emergency procedures, and audit.
- Number of Administrative or Judicial Prosecutions & Fines
|Number of prosecutions|
|Fines (in euros)|