Innovation is at the heart of Imerys growth strategy.
For several years, innovation goals have been factored into our Sustainable Development action plan. These include:
- The development and introduction every year of products with an environmental benefit,
- The measurement, from the design stage, of our innovations’ carbon footprint.
The rise in the number of ideas and opportunities led the Group to allocate significantly more resources to R&D and Innovation, increasing 2013 expenses by almost + 7% to €60 million.
Moreover, a growing share of research expenditure is for work on innovations in new markets for Imerys. The Group introduced almost 65 new products in 2013. Several of them offer an environmental benefit, while others improve ease of use. Many high-technology products were also launched. Imerys intends to increase the share of new products in its revenue. The Group thus estimates that €333 million in revenue was generated with products created in the past five years. This is an increase of + 33% compared to 2012.
Our ability to combine minerals enables our customers to make significant, quantifiable improvements, e.g. better controlled, more cost-effective production, lower consumption of expensive raw materials, greater energy efficiency, reduced emissions and environmental impact. We also optimize our own processes to increase our productivity, but also limit our energy consumption and carbon emissions and make better use of natural resources.
To find out more information related to Group's Innovation, click here.
2009, 2010 and 2011 saw the market launch of many new products with an environmental, health or safety benefit. We present some examples below.
- A range of minerals for bio-based polymers
- Linerfil™ : Saving Energy in Paper-Making (Pigments for Paper and Packaging)
- Further development of the New Quick-Drying, No-Cement Variety of refractory concrete
- TIMREX® C-Therm 011 and TIMREX® C-Therm 012
- Reducing Carbon Footprint thanks to Fiberlink™ 101S (Performance Minerals)
- Lighter and stronger ceramic products
- ImerFill®: Reducing Cement’s Carbon Footprint (Performance Minerals)
- Improving the Efficiency of Thermal Power Stations or Incinerators (Minerals for Ceramics)
- C-NERGY™, a Range of Additives for Lithium Ion Batteries (Graphite & Carbon)
- IMercure™ X10: An Environment-Friendly Wood Coating Additive (Performance Minerals)
- Recycling Calcium Carbonate Tailings (Performance Minerals)