Natural Minerals Intern

Job location:
Johns Creek, Georgia, USA
Created moment:
January 25, 2024
Job reference:
REQ - 07845

The Company

The world’s leading supplier of mineral-based specialty solutions for industry with 14,000 employees, operations in more than 40 countries, and €4.3 billion in revenue in 2022.
Imerys delivers high-value-added, functional solutions to a great number of sectors, from processing industries to consumer goods. The Group draws on its understanding of applications, technological knowledge and expertise in material science to deliver solutions by beneficiating its mineral resources, synthetic minerals and formulations. Imerys’ solutions contribute essential properties to customers’ products and their performance, including heat resistance, hardness, conductivity, opacity, durability, purity, lightness, filtration, absorption and water repellency. Imerys is determined to develop responsibly, in particular by fostering the emergence of environmentally-friendly products and processes.
If you want to grow your skills and develop your career, find out more at

The Position

Natural Minerals Intern

Job Summary

Project Scope:

Joining the global R&D team for Imerys Performance Minerals based in Johns Creek, GA, the intern will contribute to our knowledge and understanding of mineral-assisted solid / liquid separation processes. Every clear fluid you experience, from edible oils, to beer and wine will have been filtered, likely with one of our products.  Our industrial customers use our minerals to aid the clarification of a diverse range of liquids - from beer and wine, mining fluids, biological serums and foodstuffs.  The intern will join an active project team focused on a particular customer or manufacturing process.

Project Description/ Deliverables:

 Whilst minerals have been used for over a 100 years, new filtration challenges continue to be presented to us by our customers. One project is developing a new type absorbent filtration solution aimed at enhancing the purification of renewable diesel feedstocks. The interns will be hands-on in the laboratory for ~70% of their time, executing their designs-of-experiment modifying the physical and chemical properties of the filter aids and see how they perform in challenge tests. The other ~30% will be spent on experimental design and data analysis.

The deliverable will be a bullet point research report plus supporting slide deck, proving a specific structure-property relationship between prototype products and a customer specification. 

Project Learning Objectives:

The interns are expected to develop independent observation/thinking, efficient experimental design, the ability to draw conclusions based on statistical analysis of data, and gain experience of working in an industrial research environment. 

Our Intern/Co-Op program provides an opportunity to apply the concepts you learned in college classes to real world experience, including:

  • The opportunity and freedom to drive improvements, in an informal and non-hierarchical culture

  • Broad based experience gained through exposure to multiple projects, businesses and organizations

  • The opportunity to communicate, collaborate and influence across boundaries

  • Unique experiences and increasing responsibilities within an exciting business.

We are looking for interns who are:

  • Recent Graduate with BS or MS Chemistry / Mat Sci / Chem Eng. Or an Undergrad entering their final year of either degree program

  • Have excellent oral and written communication skills

  • Love to solve problems in a collaborative environment

  • Are legally authorized to work in the U.S. without the need for current or future work authorization or visa sponsorship for employment

  • Will pass a drug screen and background investigation

Position Type

Full time


Intern (Fixed Term)

Only technical issues will be monitored through the below inbox:


To ensure fairness and legal compliance in our recruitment processes, only applications received through the online application process will be considered. 

IMERYS is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and it is our policy to not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws.