Press Release

Imerys and British Lithium announce a strategic partnership to accelerate development of UK’s largest lithium deposit

British Lithium - PR hero banner
  • Imerys and British Lithium form a joint venture with the objective of creating the United Kingdom’s first integrated producer of battery-grade lithium carbonate. 
  • Imerys contributes its lithium mineral resources, land and infrastructure for an 80% stake in the joint venture, whilst British Lithium brings its bespoke lithium processing technology, its technical team and its lithium pilot plant for the remaining 20%.
  • As part of the venture, Imerys will provide a large lithium deposit: 161 million tonnes of inferred resources at 0.54% lithium oxide content, giving confidence of a life of mine exceeding 30 years. Drilling programme and pre feasibility study (PFS) are in progress.
  • The proposed development will include a quarry, a beneficiation plant and a conversion unit co-located on Imerys brownfield site to produce high-purity lithium.
  • Cornwall would become the leading lithium hub in the UK, with target annual production of 20,000 tonnes of lithium carbonate equivalent, enough to equip 500,000 electric cars per year, by the end of the decade.