Other food applications
Additives and regulators for an array of food products
If you need texturising agents, anti-caking agents, raising agents, anti-stick coatings, acid regulators, thickeners or bulking agents, we have a selective range of controlled food-additive calcium carbonates and talcs* for a wide range of foodstuffs.
- Acidity regulation: calcium carbonate can be used to regulate the acidity or alkalinity of foods such as fruit juices, pastes and preserves.
- Raising agent: calcium carbonates are effective raising agents and pH regulators for baked products. Calcium carbonate leavens baked goods by reacting with acids to produce CO2, which causes your mixture to rise. It is particularly effective in cakes.
- Thickener and bulking agent: calcium carbonates are effective bulking agents and thickeners, used to increase viscosity in a wide range of applications such as baked products.
- Anti-caking and anti-sticking: our talc has hydrophobic, organophilic and platy properties that make it an excellent anticaking or separating agent for sticky food products that tend to clump together. Talc’s smooth and flat lamellae cover each particle, helping it to flow freely. Relatively water repellent, talc particles form a barrier when they envelop the food particles, reducing the evaporation and uptake of moisture within the product mass.
- Filler and carrier: as a soft, innocuous and organophilic substance, Imerys talc is approved as a filler and carrier in food supplements such as vitamin pills.
- Surface finishing and texturing agent: naturally soft and platy, our talcs also make effective surfacing finishing and texturing agents in foods such as confectionery, processed cheese, rice, processed meats and seasonings.
Our food additive grades are sustainably sourced from high-quality minerals from our own mines. They are processed at our facilities, according to Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP).
Our calcium carbonate and talc food additive grades:
- Are registered for use as food additives under European Directive 1129/2011 (EC) Calcium Carbonates: E170; Talc E553b (Annex II)
- Comply with required purity criteria set out in European Directive 231/2012 (EC)
- Comply with US FDA Standards for Food Additives
- Comply with purity criteria under Food Chemical Codex, VIII Edition
- Comply with Japanese Standards for Food Additives, VIII Edition
- Certified Kosher and Halal
- Do not contain allergens
Process quality is guaranteed by:
- HACCP in place at all relevant sites
- All sites certified ISO 9001:2015; Porte site, Italy, certified ISO 22000
More information on Food Regulatory Package and Kosher certificates is available from our download center.
*Talc products are not available in the USA and Canada. Contact us for an alternative range.