Perlite filter aids
Advanced perlite filtration for the food and beverage sector
What is perlite?
Perlite is made from soft alumino-silicate rock that expands rapidly when heated, as the water in its structure turns to steam. This expanded structure is then milled to the desired particle size distribution to make various grades of filter aid products.
We produce high-permeability grades for high-solid content or “rough” filtration, as well as low permeability grades for low solid or high clarity fine filtration. All our perlites are inert and provide a natural and sustainable filtration medium that’s ideal for a range of applications in the food and beverage market.
Perlite filter aids are very light in density, making them exceptional in their capacity to retain large quantities of suspended solids in a filter cake without blocking.
A wide range of products to match different filtration capabilities
We offer a wide range of different perlite filter aids to cover the full range of filtration capabilities.
- Our Europerl® and Harbolite® perlite filter aids provide superior filtration performance in beer, juices, sugar syrups, edible oils, alginates, gelatine and hydrocolloids. Multiple grades ensure optimal filtration performance and the flexibility required when filtering natural raw materials where quality can vary with the harvest.
- Our high-density Europerl® HD and Harbolite® HD perlite filters have been designed to reduce product losses in high-value filtration applications, where they provide easy and fast pre-coating, reduced unit consumption, and high flow rates. They are particularly valuable in sweetener and edible oil filtration.
- The ImerVin™ range of bespoke wine filter aids has been developed hand-in-hand with oenologists.
- Our most recent innovation, the ImerVin™ Efficace range, is a high-performance filter aid designed for the filtration of grape juice musts and post-fermentation lees. It’s proven to be effective at lower dosing rates, improves filtration capacity and reduces juice and wine losses in the filter cake.
- Our ImerVin™ 800 and ImerVin™ 1200S ranges are high-efficacy perlites engineered to give higher filtration capacity at lower powder dosing rates.
All our filtration products are FCC approved. Imerys meets all regulatory requirements, for further information please contact our team.